Monday, August 27, 2007

The American Flag

I drive through some areas (going to and from work each day) which are mainly "Hispanic". That is the word I should use, to be politically correct. But no, they are Mexican. I say this because they all fly the Mexican flag. I never see flags from any other "Hispanic" countries, just Mexico. I don't know about you, but I just feel that if you want to live in this country, you should want to be an American. You shouldn't move here just to make more money and yet expect to still speak your native language and fly your flag (either above or instead of the U.S. flag!). It really upsets me to see so many businesses with either (a) only a Mexican flag, (b) the Mexican flag waving higher than the U.S. flag or (c) torn U.S. flags. There is nothing that can be done, though. The U.S. doesn't have any laws to prevent these from happening... there is just the "flag code" which is not "law".

I am happy to report that one such business which had it's Mexican flag waving on a much higher pole than the U.S. flag, and which had 3 Mexican flags and only two (torn) U.S. flags recently got all new flags. The U.S. flag is now on the highest pole and there are now 2 smaller Mexican flags, 2 smaller U.S. flags, one Texas flag, and one large U.S. flag. I was just glad to see that they finally did the right thing. I hope more of the Mexican businesses here follow suit.

I love this poem:

I Am the Flag of the
United States of America

I am the flag of the United States of America.
My name is Old Glory.
I fly atop the world's tallest buildings.
I stand watch in America's halls of justice.
I fly majestically over institutions of learning.
I stand guard with power in the world.
Look up and see me.

I stand for peace, honor, truth, and justice.
I stand for freedom.
I am confident.
I am arrogant.
I am proud.

When I am flown with my fellow banners,
My head is a little higher,
My colors a little truer.

I bow to no one!
I am recognized all over the world.
I am worshipped - I am saluted.
I am loved - I am revered.
I am respected - and I am feared.

I have fought in every battle of every war for more then 200 years.
I was flown at Valley Forge, Gettysburg, Shiloh and Appamatox.
I was there at San Juan Hill, the trenches of France, in the Argonne Forest,
Anzio, Rome and the beaches of Normandy.
Guam, Okinawa, Korea and KheSan, Saigon, Vietnam know me.
I was there.

I led my troops, I was dirty, battleworn and tired,
But my soldiers cheered me and I was proud.

I have been burned, torn and trampled on the streets of countries I have helped set free.
It does not hurt for I am invincible.
I have been soiled upon, burned, torn and
trampled in the streets of my country.
And when it's done by those
Whom I've served in battle - it hurts.
But I shall overcome - for I am strong.

I have slipped the bonds of Earth
and stood watch over the uncharted frontiers of space from my vantage point on the moon.
I have borne silent witness to all of America's finest hours.

But my finest hours are yet to come.

When I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I am flown at half-mast to honor my soldier,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms of a grieving parent
at the grave of their fallen son or daughter,
I am proud.

6 comments:

janice said...

That poem is beautiful, do you recall the author?
I totally agree! If you come to this great country, assimilate and become an American. That's how it used to be, everyone wanted to be an American. Folks came here to make a better live not only for themselves but later generations.

Don't get me wrong, I think we should be able to keep a family identity and traditions. It's when this country is forced to accomidate those who won't assimilate. I see a lot more concessions being made by Americans to newbies. If your homeland was so great, go back. I don't understand how you can live in a country, reap all the benefits and then be loyal to another nation.

OCD.Like.Monica said...

One of my good friends from work is from Guadalajara. She cannot understand why the U.S. government is bending over backwards and making so many concessions. Also, she said that in Mexico, they would never even think about having everything written in English and Spanish (the way it is here in Texas). She said things are only in English in the tourist areas. Everywhere else, you have to learn the language!

Hound Doggy said...

I agree with both you guys. I'm in Missouri. There are quite a few chicken processing plants and chicken houses near here so there are quite a few Mexicans also.

If I were going to France to live and work, I would certainly expect to learn French. I don't know why there is even the expectation that you could come here and live and work and not learn English.

There was some talk here a few years ago by some do-gooders that everyone in a work position who was going to deal with the Mexicans should learn to speak Spanish. That would have included me because I had a funeral home. That would mean that my 3 regular staff people and various others that worked visitations and such would have to learn Spanish. That just burns me up.

When I got out of college my degree was in broadcasting. I sent resumes to places in Texas and Florida but in many of the company information pages it stated that you had to speak both English and Spanish. grrrrr

And don't get me started about the airports........

janice said...

You got it Hound Doggy. Assimilation is a must and the key to keeping our American culture and heritage.

OCD.Like.Monica said...

Hound Doggy,
They've come to expect it (that we will cater to them and learn their language) because that is what our government has shown them. That is the only part about living in Texas that I just hate. You're right too... most employers want you to speak English and Spanish. I took Spanish in HS, but can only speak a little. I took a year of Spanish (paid for by my employer) because we had a huge office in Colombia. I don't really remember anything from that though. We don't deal with the public, so it's not a big deal. I guess if I ever had to get a new job where I did have to deal with the public, I'd have to learn it.

In Massachussetts (Boston, at least), they were trying a new assimilation technique. It sounded really good. They taught the parents to speak English, too. I wonder how that is going... it just started a couple of years ago. Some studies had shown that right now we're experiencing the first time in history when GRANDCHILDREN of immigrants still do not speak English.

OCD.Like.Monica said...

So get this! My son came home with a Boy Scouts application. He is already a member, but they send them home with all of the boys in the first week of school. So, I look at it. The front is a picture and then the back is the actual "application". It says APPLICATION (in English) but then, grrrr.... all of the box headers like First Name, Last Name, address, etc. are written in bold in SPANISH and then in parenthesis in ENGLISH! What?!!!!!!